how parents can help
Students are taught proper keyboarding skills from Grades 2-5, and those skills are reinforced through Grades 6-8. The primary goal of this instruction is to see that students are proficient through middle and high school, so they are successful in assignments that require writing - from essays and poems to computer programming.
Student-created videos are "in the works" and will be uploaded here soon. For now, you can ask your child about the following skills that they will have learned in class:
1. POSTURE. Both feet on the floor, back straight, relaxed shoulders, fingers hovering over keyboard.
2. HOMEROW. Fingers rest above the home row when not typing, and never cross over the middle point.
3. THUMBS FOR SPACEBAR. Only the thumbs should be used for the space bar.
4. FOLLOW THE ROAD. Use the correct fingers for the keys near home row! Pinky for P and Q, for example.
5. TAKE BREAKS. Let your eyes rest after about 10-15 minutes.